Friday, October 30, 2015

Week 9-Data Collection Update

Update us on your progress. How is your data collection going?

In total I probably have about 2 full weeks of data on Twitter. Some days I have not been able to have students post to Twitter. This has not been very often but I had 2 days this week where that happened. Yesterday we were reviewing for our test and the review game took longer than anticipated. Today with Halloween, we didn’t have class. Instead we had our school parade of the costumes. The same thing has happened with collecting the observations. I have been collecting observations for both physical science and biology. In physical science I forgot to collect one day and then our class was skipped due to a special presentation from a visitor. I guess things will always come up, so it was good to hear in our Twitter chat that we can work with the data we have. It is just a matter of spending some time with it. So that is what I have been working on. I have been working to sort the tweets. Here is a pic of what I have sorted so far.
These are all of the tweets from my biology class. I have noticed that as time has gone on some students have posted more. I have found that most tweets provide helpful information. It was good to see this. I was afraid that many comments were almost useless as I was catching some that were very generic or unrelated to class. The 2nd column and last column are the tweets that do not provide helpful information to the class. These are some of the smallest categories so that is very encouraging. It shows that my students are taking Twitter seriously. I was a little afraid that they were just posting whatever and not thinking about what they were posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment